Slider

Mrs. Grumpy Pants

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I was seriously yelled at by a Czech granny today. No, not because I was feeding my baby formula instead of breastfeeding. No, not because my children were not appropriately bundled in 3 layers of winter wear plus long underwear. Then why? Because the back wheels of my car were in the crosswalk. Yep, as I was waiting in my car for the sitter to come down from her flat with Lydia, a grandmotherly woman approached my car, knocked on the window and angrily pointed out my offense (while my window was still up!). I nodded. She repeats, growing more agitated. So, I roll down my window and nod and smile, saying "Ano" (Yes). Now she is REALLY upset and the hand gestures are increasing. Finally, attempting to quell the situation I apologetically say, "Mluvim Anglicky. Promiente." (I speak English. I'm sorry.) Nope, didn't work. She persists, spewing forth Czech at an alarming rate. So I try "Miminko tady". (Baby here). Ok, Lydia's a child, not a baby, and maybe I said it with more vehemence than that, but it didn't have any effect anyway. Marcus was screaming hysterically in the backseat and I had decided I had had enough. So, I tell her "Moment" trying to buy some time and attempt to roll up the window. That did it. Now she threatened to call the police! And would you believe it? Just then a police car rolls by!!! No joke! She starts pointing and trying to get them to stop. Thankfully they just ride by so I put my car in gear and she finally leaves the side of my car. I pulled ahead into a spot reserved for bank customers for the duration of the wait. All this in a span of 3 minutes...an eternity!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Content © Ann-marie Verbrugge